Monday, January 21, 2008

Martin Luther King Jr. Day

I have been called out several times by several different people about not updating lately so I guess I will let you all know how we celebrated the late great MLK Jr. I was off work today however all of the teachers had to use today as an in service day. Jake and Riley's school had parent teacher conferences and I was able to visit with both of their teachers this morning. I got wonderful reports on both of them. Let me just stop right here and tell you we live in a very colorful, interesting neighborhood. I often tell people that if they truly want a spooky Halloween they ought to trick or treat in my hood. That being said I was able to meet the mother of one of Jake's friends. She seems very nice and to be a very involved mom (something you can't say about too many mothers at this school). Her name is Pepsi (no she isn't black). I think Pepsi and I are going to try and get the boys together someday. I just love saying her name I smile every time I say it. After I visited with Pepsi (snicker snicker) I hurried home so Jeremy could get to work. The rest of the day we decided to remember the great civil rights leader by watching one of our most favorite movies ever Hairspray (the new version) we LOVE this movie and can sing and dance to every song (when I say "we" I mean the kids and I, Jeremy isn't such a fan). This movie of course takes place during the civil rights movement and although it might not be the most accurate films on the subject you really can't beat the soundtrack. We did a little dancing and singing and then got the house in order and caught up on the laundry. We were suppose to take Jake into his dermatologist for a UV treatment however when we got out to the van it wouldn't start. I guess a door was left open or a light was left on what ever the problem was I needed someone to give us a jump start. I look around the neighborhood (ghettohood) to see if I recognized any one's car so I could ask for some help. I didn't so we were stuck. I had taped some MLK program off of the History channel so I had the kids watched that while I started dinner. No giggles but I did make some mac and cheese for the kids to eat (this was not a planned part of MLK day we just enjoy mac and cheese) the kids also each wanted a jell-o cup from the fridge so the girls all chose a flavor and then Jake looked down at the options and said, "I want to pick BLACK cherry because it's Martin Luther King Jr. day." I thought that was kinda funny. We ended the day out with chocolate cream pie (once again the color of the pie was not intentional part of our celebrations we happened to find it on the "day old shelf" at the grocery store for 40% off) and we talked about what MLK did and what his dream was for our FHE. The kids all went around the table and said how they could help make the dream of everyone being kind and loving one another possible. Riley thought that she could share crackers with Tanashia, a girl in her class.

Well I updated for everyone so no more gripping out there from anyone. This is the boring mundane stuff you have all been missing from my updates I am sure you are all thinking maybe I should wait and update when I have something more interesting to say. Sorry no pictures I didn't think it was really interesting enough to warrant documentation so just use your imagination.

*** I just thought of something else that I need to post. You all remember my girl's night out drag show incident I hope. Well I have discovered (much to my joy) that Amarillo has a very active La Luchadore (Nacho Libre style) wrestling. We are talking masks, capes spandex the whole nine yards. I of course started calling my girls to see who was up for another adventure they were all in so we went a couple of Fridays ago and somehow missed it. The thing starts at 8 and ends promptly at 10 (who knew it would be so punctual?) We got there at about 10:30 and saw the aftermath. Let's just say we will not make the same mistake twice. We will try this again and by golly we will be there on time. Pictures will be posted. Love ya guys!!!***

9 comments:

Tam said...

Sometimes the most mundane are the most fun to hear about. I am glad to hear that my oldest friend did not fall off the earth without telling anyone. I have missed you!!!

Make sure you include pics of the mexican wrestling. The only thing I know about it is NACHO LIBRE and I really don't know how accurate that it.

luv ya

Mom/Linda said...

Welcome back!!! Now, that wasn't so hard, was it? I do wish you had shared the story about Brooke and the lyrics from "Good Morning, Baltimore". Now I've piqued everyone's curiosity--you'll have to do another post.

Jenn said...

Yikes about the wrestling, ROFL!!

Glad to hear you had a fun day of celebration, despite the dead car issue!

Emily said...

YEAH!!! Finally an update! I think your life is a lot more interesting than you think. Who else can say they have a friend named Pepsi? Seriously.

emily w. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
emily w. said...

I love that your family celebrated MLK day...The White family (no pun intended) wasn't so observant. It's good to have you back in the blogging world. I can't wait to hear a report on the wrestling. Did I tell you that I saw a Luchedore (sp?) walking around downtown near the River Walk...I must investigate and see where we can catch the action here locally....I see a possible date night upcoming.

Papa Randy said...

What a great blessing to have my grandchildren taught the importance about other cultures other than our own. Keep up the good work. Love to see pics or videos of the kids and you dancing and singing. It may be mundane stuff to you but to us it's a bit of heaven on earth. Thank you so much for the update.

Monica said...

YAY an update!! Love ya Eliza!!

Jen Wolff said...

I was blog hopping and much to my surprise, I saw your update! Your life isn't boring. It's entertaining! Can't wait to see a picture of you mucha lucha adventure!