Monday, October 6, 2008

random sampler

I am still undecided with the whole public/private thing. I actually watched an episode of Law and Order SVU which totally freaked me out but then I checked out the whole process of going private and it kind of looks like a huge pain in the booty. So out of my laziness I will be staying public... at least until the next episode of SVU airs. I loved getting all the comments. There were a few people who commented that surprised me. It's nice to know that the same blogs that I stalk are indeed stalking me too.

Saturday the kids and I got to hang out with a coworker/friend and her kids. It was so much fun getting to know her and meeting her adorable kids. We really had a blast playing and eating at Chick-fil-a and then moving the party over to the Discover Center. After we got home Riley would tear up at the mention of any of the Johnson's names. She makes BFFs very easy.

One thing that I find very cute about Jacob is how he really tries hard to be just like his dad. Dad likes football, Jake likes football. Dad talks about cool fast cars, Jake talks about cool fast cars. Dad follows baseball, Jake follows baseball. You get the picture. Jake tries so hard to keep up with the big boy talk but of course his knowledge is semi limited (I mean the kid is only 9 years old). Jake learned a while back about some super fast car called a Viper. I know nothing about cars but I hear it's like the awesomest of awesome cars. Now any time Jake sees a semi sporty looking car he always asks either me or Jeremy if it's a viper. We can be driving down the street and a yellow Dodge Neon with a little pinstripe job and an added spoiler and Jake will immediately say, "AHHHH Mom is that a Viper?!?!?" To which I have to remind him Vipers are very rare to spot especially in Amarillo, Texas. Jake thinks he sees a Viper like two or three times a week, but of course has never really seen one. Well on Saturday just down the street from us was a fundraiser for a big private school in town complete with a car show. I slowed down so Jake could check out the cars and he screamed, "Mom it's a REAL Viper!!"

Sure enough it WAS a real Viper. Jake was very excited and couldn't wait to tell daddy that he saw a REAL Viper (not a suped up Neon).


Sunday we had our biannual Clement conference tradition of watching the first session of conference followed by homemade biscuits and gravy (Jeremy makes them not me). Jake and girls were Jeremy's little assistants and the food turned out wonderful. My man knows how to cook!! I love our little tradition of watching church in our jammies and eating biscuits and gravy twice a year. Don't you all love Conference Sunday? I loved listening to Sister Dalton's talk on women of virtue. It was inspiring to me and I thought she was a very good speaker. I also felt so proud as President Ballard spoke on all of the advances in South America through missionary work. All my favorite men served their missions in South America and were part of that rich missionary history. I ended up taking some allergy medication with my biscuits and gravy so the second Sunday session was not quite as crisp in my memory, thank goodness for DVR I will have to take the next few evenings to re watch the talks while not under the influence of Benodryl.


Tonight for FHE the kids and I (sadly Jeremy works every night until about 8:30) drove around downtown Amarillo leaving little notes for strangers. I got this idea from Nie Nie and thought it would be a big success with our family. Two weeks ago we actually talked about the importance of being kind to everyone and how it is nice to serve others. After talking about being kind to strangers I gave them the idea of leaving little notes for people. They loved the idea and we went out to Target to pick up the supplies. We then worked on making the little notes and making a list of nice things a stranger might like to read. The two older kids wrote the little messages while Brooke drew some little decorations on the cards. Tonight was the big night to actually leave all our little love notes for others to find. We left them all over including; the police station, library, a small downtown park area, bus stop, civic center and the kids school. After we were done we still had several so we left a couple at some of our friends houses anonymously. The kids were so funny about it all. They would race out the car and look around before leaving the note and racing back. At first they didn't really get why we weren't telling everyone it was us who left them but I explained that sometimes we do nice things for others without telling them it was from us. We really had a fun time hanging out together planting our little love notes for strangers.

17 comments:

Papa Randy said...

Such a great post with so much information. I am glad that my grandchildren have such an inventive and conscientious mother. What a great service they have performed. I love those TX kidos. Looks like some great art work too. Tell Brooke she might be another Picasso.

emily w. said...

I love that you did that for FHE. That was one of my favorite Nie Nie posts. Now I'm truly inspired to do that with my girls. You are such a great mom and an example to us all. And tell Jake I'm excited he saw a real Viper.

Tam said...

That is such a wonderful idea.I am in the same boat with a husband that works late on Mondays and because of that have never really done much for FHE. We meet other solo moms at Chick-fila and let the kids run crazy while we gab. It is really nice but somehow it lacks any spiritual content.

I didn't get to vote about your blog but I am glad you are staying open. I know what you mean and I have thought about going private but so far I haven't had any problems.

PS - thanks for the info. We are headed to the audiologist tomorrow and I will let you know how it goes. Love ya!!!

The Queen Bee said...

I'm glad you are staying public but truth be told if you went private then I'd still lurk ya! I'm also glad I'm not the only one who gets freaked out by what they see on TV crime dramas! Chris has to sometimes limit my TV watching at night because I get all freaked out and paranoid. It's much worse when I watch things that are real, you know like court TV or City Confidential. If you come by and my house is locked up like a fortress you'll know why!

Jen Wolff said...

I am glad(at least for now) that you are staying public. I too love to read Nie Nie. You blog reminds me a lot of hers!!!You have so much good to spread!!! I loved that post of Nie's also! A great idea for FHE!

jen said...

For some weird reason, my computer has not been able to open any blogs for the last month or so...i've missed your posts! Problem fixed and I am up and running! Just a few thoughts: I have friends that comment to me about reading your blog, none in Little Rock though, sorry! Love you and your blog, public or private. You inspire me to live more in the moment...I have always loved that about you! Sheesh, I'm getting sappy. I've missed a lot, but love that I can catch up by reading your posts!

Emily said...

What a great post!! I am totally going to use that FHE idea. What a great family thing! Thanks for sharing.

Mom/Linda said...

I remember this summer when Dad and I took your kids to Del Taco for dinner/indoor play and Riley met a new friend. There were lots of hugs and tears when it was time to leave and promises of staying in touch. Of course, no one wrote down anyone's address, but it's the thought that counts.

What a fun Mom you are! You've always said that you'll take me in when I'm really old and drooly...I'm looking forward to it!

Torrie said...

Jake is so funny. I love the Dodge Neon comment.

David and Amanda said...

I love that you did the Nie Nie notes...so cute, you're such a fun mama!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing - I think we will have to do that FHE - SOON! I am glad you aren't going private - I don't get around to blog surfing/stalking very often, but I'd hate to miss checking in on Jeremy's gang (and Eliza's of course).

Williams Family Dirt said...

I loved that idea from Nie's blog! So glad you did it, you have inspired me!

Williams Family Dirt said...

BTW, looks like we have the same blog designer! ;)

Taylors said...

Ashton is super impressed any time he sees a car with racing stripes! Boys are cute. I feel bad because I had to listen to conferance on the radio (no T.V.), this proved to be a little challenging with kids! I need to plan better next time. I think I will go online and read all the talks. I need inspiration in my life now! What a sweet FHE idea I will do this. Tell Riley she is my BFF!

Anonymous said...

Hey Liza, I thought of you today, well actually your Obama button on your blog! I saw a car with like 750 billion political bumper stickers (in honor of the bailout...ha ha!!). He had only one Obama sticker. "NOBAMA '08" I thought you might like that one!

Paula said...

I love this idea, I also read the NieNie blog, I'm a big fan of her sister's blog cjanerun. I thought about doing this activity with my grandkids, I think we'll do it!

Julie said...

Liza, It is so great to finally see what the heck is going on with you. Emily just found me on Facebook and well, let the blog stalking begin. Enjoy yourself. Let's get caught up. I'll probably send Carlie your way shortly. YEAH!