
A couple months ago we bought the girls bunk beds for their rooms. There was some playing in the beds for the first week or so but I think the novelty of it all has worn off and everything had been running smoothly, until last night. Around 11 I heard a huge crash and ran to the girls room where I found Riley (who went to bed on the top bunk) face down on the floor. She was crying so I picked her up and tried to comfort her. I thought she was just scared but as I moved into the hall I could see she was bleeding from her face. I called for Jeremy and ran to get some paper towels. We were trying to figure out where all the blood was coming from and found that she was bleeding from her nose and mouth. We moved her to the couch and started talking to her. We told her she fell from her bed and asked her where she was hurt. She looked at us and answered that her lip was hurting the worse. We had her open her mouth up wider and I found that one of her baby teeth (that was not loose) was hanging by a thread and two of her grown up teeth seemed to be jammed up into her gums. There also seemed to be some damage to her gums. We kept cleaning her up and talking to her when she asked us, "how did I get hurt?" We had just gone over how she got hurt but we explained to her again what happened. I called my mom to see what she had done with my sister Clare when she had some bad injuries to her teeth as a little girl. While I was on the phone Riley asked Jeremy again, "What happened to me? Why am I hurt?" We decided to take her in because her pupils were dilated huge and she seemed to be a little disoriented. After waiting at the ER for 4.5 hours and after having a CT scan her list of injuries amounted to; tooth and gum trauma, two huge goose eggs on her forehead, some bruising around her eyes and nose, a busted up lip, and a small concussion.


We were grateful that there were no facial fractures or swelling of the brain. Who would have thought that falling out of bed could have been so dangerous. Riley was a real trooper and did lots of coloring and a little napping during the whole hospital visit. We both stayed home from school today so we could catch up on sleep and to monitor Riley and make sure she was ok from her concussion. It looks like we will both be going back to school tomorrow. I am so grateful that everything worked out and that Jeremy was worthy and able to give our little girl a father's blessing before we went to the hospital. Riley often likes to comment that she's "not lucky" I would say that last night she was very lucky that her injuries were mostly cosmetic and nothing worse came from her tumble. She did however say that she does not want to sleep on the top bunk anymore... I guess she and Brooke will both have to share that bottom bunk for a while.
18 comments:
Oh, poor Riley! We have two sets of bunk beds and I'm always worried somebody is going to fall out. We have also had a tooth trauma accident before (Hannah flipped off a back). I hope she feels better soon!
Poor baby. Give her a big hug from us! She was lucky, it could have been worse. We love you Riley!
Oh Liza, this is so sad. The swollen lip is kind of cute though in an Angelina way. Chloe has a loft bed and now I'm all stressed. Is she known to be a coo-koo sleeper or is this a total fluke? So what happens to the adult teeth that were jammed?
Oh and do the kids have a concrete floor in their bedroom?
Poor Riley - I am so glad she is only injured and not broken!! Your right - she is very lucky.
Good luck with the bunk bed thing - You should get a guard for the side and see if that helps. We have one for James' bed and so far so good!!
Bunk beds can be a hazard. I hope Riley feels better soon. All nighters at the emergency room....aahhh, those were the days...
Julie-
I have never really thought of Riley as a coo koo sleeper she is how ever a VERY sound sleeper. She will very occasionally still wet the bed because she doesn't wake herself up. As far as the adult teeth go we will have to wait and see if they change color (I guess an indication of dying) our hope of course is that they will just sort of heal themselves. They weren't fully grown in anyway so I think that is a good thing. We will just have to see if they survive it all. The crazy thing is the kids have carpet on their floors I think she must have knocked her head onto her dresser on the way down. I can't imagine that much damage was done from falling onto carpet.
Riley is actually feeling much better today. She is really milking the advice of the doctor not to eat anything too hard because her teeth are loose. Today she thought she "might need a milk shake since she couldn't chew too good."
That's funny about the milkshake- I was wondering if her teeth hurt her. Ed cracked and jammed his teeth when he fell out of his crib (that was the LAST night in the crib for him...)and I was worried because sippy cups hurt his teeth and he didn't want to eat. I'm amazed at the design of your bunk- it has no rail! It looks like the designers expect you to fall onto the lower bed, I guess. I would look into a bed rail you slide under the mattress, or just let her sleep on the bottom and share for awhile. Having your own bed is so over-rated. Just ask my boys. I hope she feels better soon, and seriously, emergency rooms are a nightmare.
i'm so sorry. i'm glad it turned out okay and that she was such a trooper!
When I talked to her today I told her that Papa and I said a prayer for her last night and she said, "You did? Thank you. That was very nice of you." What a sweetheart! And tell her for me that she IS lucky!
Poor little Smiley Riley. I am so sorry that you are hurt and pray you will get better. I noticed that your eyes are still blue. You are such a precious little girl. We are so glad you are ours. I know that Heavenly Father will help you to get better and fix your teeth. Are there any add on rails to help her stay put. I know maybe you can use duct tape to hold her in so there won’t be a next time. Bunk beds kind of scare me. It’s a good thing she is tough. Is she still sleeping on the top bunk?
Poor thing. I'm glad her injuries weren't any worse--she's pretty lucky there. I don't blame her for not wanting to sleep on the top bunk for awhile. I don't even like to sleep on a top bunk. There's nothing fun about it for me.
Poor Riley! That last picture makes me want to cry. I'm glad she is ok and there was no permanent damage. Give her a hug for me!
I seem to remember a Dallas trip where Riley flung herself from the bed and hit her head on the night stand. Maybe she is dreaming she is an Olympic gymnast. She should probably only do that when she is awake. Tell her we said hi!
Tell Riley she is in our prayers for a speedy recovery. I don't blame her though... I don't think I would want to sleep on the top bunk anymore either.
Looking back at the pictures of the bed,that bunkbed needs to go if there isn't any railing on the top. It would just be a matter of time before she falls off again. We have two sets of bunk beds. The railing should be high enough that it would be near impossible to accidentally roll off at night. We even have special mattresses for the top bunk that are alot less deep than normal ones so that they have a few more inches of extra space.
Hope she is feeling better, I don't blame her for not wanting to sleep there again, neither would I.
bunk beds must have rail for safely. when i was a little girl i have really tall bed and my dad built a safely railing to protect me from failling off. i am really sorry about Riley's accident. i understand that it must hurt a lot. i am praying for her to heal. i will be in houston tomorrow night and probably be back by wednsday night or later depends on what doctor say. i miss you so much and i am planning to come visit at Caprock soon.
Jacob has a permanent rail on his bunk, but you have me worried now!? I hope Riley is feeling better now, that must have been really scary.
Oh, that makes me sad, I feel so bad for her, please give her a kiss from me! Randy fell "over" his loft bed when he was little, luckily the teeth he knocked out were baby teeth. His mouth hit the chest of drawers underneath the bed. You can buy some rails that fit underneath the mattess, I used to have them for Brayden.
Post a Comment