Monday, November 10, 2008

decisions

Everyday we get the opportunity to made decisions. These decisions range from simple to complex and sometimes even life altering. This weekend I had heard through a series of text messages that three Caprock students were involved in an accident. I heard that one of these students was killed and another one was in serious condition at the hospital. I did not have any names but once I got to work this morning it was clear to me that the young man who died was in my second period class. I was not particularly close to this student. I did see him everyday but other than an occasional smile we had little to do with each other. He was a bit of a class clown so often times he only lasted in class for about ten minutes before the teacher threw him out and sent him down to the office. I think the only real conversation we had was actually about the Rubik's Cube. I saw him working on one and I mentioned that my son loves to play with his. He then asked me if he has solved it and I said yes he can solve it but it takes him a while to finish it (this was a while back). Despite not knowing this young man very well I was still very effected by his sudden passing. Today most of the kids in my second period class were very upset. There were lots of tears and no one was able to focus on anything. The school district brought in a trauma team to help the students and staff deal with their grief and all the principals were seen comforting students. It was such an emotional day for everyone. I had several students come up to me and make comments to the effect of, "If it happened to him it could happen to anyone." I agreed with them that no one knows how much time they have on this Earth however often times tragic deaths are partly to blame to individual choices. The students involved in the accident over the weekend were racing another car at two in the morning. I don't know if alcohol was involved but regardless there were choices that lead to their horrible tragic accident. I know that many young people have the attitude that they are invincible or that nothing wrong or bad will happen to them. Many times they make decisions based on these feelings. After explaining this idea to several students through out the day I started thinking about my own decisions. Some good and some not so good. I may not have put my physical life at risk with my decisions but did I risk my eternal life? Have I put my own or my families eternal life in jeopardy? Can I do better? Can I make better decisions? Of course I can. I know a huge reason for our mortal existence is to learn and grow. I want nothing but the best for me and my family. As the mother of my family I feel much responsibility for making the best choices for all of us. I never want to assume that I am doing ok when I know I can do better. I am not invincible or immune to spiritual danger. None of us are. We need to always strive to do better. It was a sad day but I have personally been grateful for the opportunity to learn and grow from this experience and pain.

7 comments:

Goreapollosa said...

Oh so true my friend. It is an eye opener when a young person dies. It seems such a waste but I always try to think that he was needed for a better purpose. I can not imagine the grief of his family. No one should lose a child. Let's remember to cherish every minute with ours and guide those in our care to the way of our Lord.

Papa Randy said...

We just don’t understand that each choice we make can affect us or someone else drastically. Experiences in our lives helps to re-evaluate and rethink what we do and say everyday. Remember the talk recently about choices that are good, better, and best by Dallin H. Oaks. Or best choices are always going to give us the best results.

Mom/Linda said...

A few years ago a friend of mine died suddenly. At the time of her death, she was estranged from her teenage son. I talked with her mother on the phone when I got word of her passing. The thing that grieved her mother the most was that her daughter would not have the opportunity in this life to make things right with her son. I have learned from experience that life can take sudden and unexpected turns. Each day we need to try to give our best and be our best.

Torrie said...

Well put. I just read the article on-line a few minutes ago about the accident. It's sad but it's a tragic reminder to cherish what we have and make good decisions.

The Queen Bee said...

I am so sorry for the loss of your student. Thanks for the reminder that ALL of our choices count!!

Emily said...

That was very well said, Eliza. It's always things like this that bring us back to earth and remind us of what is really important. Thanks for sharing.

Laura Swenson said...

Good lessons often come from tragic experiences. I am so very thankful that there was nothing left to say when Susie so unexpectedly passed. A great gift.