Saturday, November 1, 2008

halloween 2008

Thanks to Mom and her amazing sewing skills we were able to pull off another awesome theme inspired Halloween. The girls all LOVED their costumes (and really what's not to love). They commented all night on how "puffy" they were. They really want to wear their skirts to church this Sunday. Jake had many funny comments about his costume this year. First let me explain that I have their weird obsession with having all the kids dress in a theme. Last year we were blessed with our fourth child and were finally able to make my dreams come true of a complete Wizard of Oz cast (Dorthy, Tin Man, Scarecrow, AND lion). This year the girls have been very obsessed with Hairspray. I thought that they would love to dress either in 50's or 60's style clothing. After a few phone calls with my mother we came up with poodle skirts white shirts and scarfs. This of course meant that Jake would have to play along and dress as a 50's style little boy. I bought him a pair of very snug fitting jeans, a crisp white t-shirt, and I searched for two months for an inexpensive leather/pleather jacket. The jacket was never found so come Halloween night Jake's first comments was, "This isn't much of a costume mom, I think I would rather just stay home and pass out candy this year." I tried to tell him in the big picture he is totally in a costume. He just has to stick with his sisters so everyone knows what he "suppose to be". As the night went on Jake really warmed up to his costume and the theme.
When we finally ended the night and got back to the house Jake asked me, "When will I be old enough to pick my own costume?" I started thinking about this and as sad as it is to think about Jake probably only has about two or three more years of Trick or Treating in him, so I am considering letting everyone just have free range next year on costume choices. I'm not going to lie the thought of totally random costumes makes me a little ill. The other thought that keeps creeping into my thoughts is, the movie Twilight is coming out this year and it's really suppose to be a huge hit... doesn't a family of attractive, kind "vegetarian" vampires sound cute? I'll keep you all posted.

10 comments:

Mom/Linda said...

LOVE it!! They all look so cute--nice hair and make-up, Mom! Now we need a music video with Brooke singing lead and the others singing "doo-wap" in the back ground.

As far as the subject of choice...maybe you could do like I do with my Beehives. When planning an activity, I think it through first and then give them a choice of three options, any of which I would be happy with. That way, they think it was their choice, while I haven't put my destiny totally in the hands of 12 year olds.

So start thinking of three choices for next year's theme, and let Jake be the one to pick.

Emily said...

You are lucky to have a super talented Mom who sews costumes for your kids. Those are always the best kind! Your kids look adorable!!

Jen said...

Your mom is AMAZING!!!!

emily w. said...

The kids look adorable! Maybe next year we should give Mom a year off and see what everyone comes up with on their own. Maybe they could have a Halloween like we had growing up. Ghost family is always cute!

Torrie said...

Those costumes are so cute! The kids look great!
Now I'm sorry, Liza, but I have to agree with Jake. I think next year he should finally get to pick his own costume. You can still have the girls dress alike if you can't completely let go of a theme but I think Jake would have fun coming up with his own costume.

Bacon said...

I'm totally with Jake on this one. It seems somewhat emasculating to be made to match your three little sisters. Josh has been picking his costumes since the age of accountability. His only rules are that it needs to be on the low end of the scary scale and can mom pull it off. This year he wanted to be Link from the Legend of Zelda games. A little obscure, but it helped that he did most of the work. Matt went as "Shawn of the Dead" to work at the movie theater. I guess my kids live in their own little world of cool.

Did you watch the TEXAS TECH game !?! Best football ever. GO RED RAIDERS!!

Julie said...

These are some crazy, cute kids. Your Mom always was a great sewer. For some reason I just figured she'd stop when it wasn't a necessity anymore but proud of her for being Super Grandma. I probably would've let them wear the skirts to church. They just felt so gorgeous, who wouldn't want to wear it? Also, tell Jake I thought he looked totally awesome and tough. I love Halloween! We did our first all themed outfits this year and though it was fun, it is soooo much easier to just have everybody be whatever. Oh and just for fun, remember when Stephan was a clown and had desitin all over his face and stank like fish?!

Eliza said...

Julie,


I don't remember the fishy smell, but I do remember the desitin.

Taylors said...

Very cute! Our Mom is the bomb! Cant wait to see you guys, I miss you like crazy!

KaufusiFamily said...

Taliana was SO jealous when she saw your halloween pictures. I'll admit... I was too. Taliana really wanted to wear a poodle skirt and wanted Malia to wear a matching one as well. But... time slipped away from me (as usual) so we had to resort to a QUICK trip to Halloween Central and grab a Gabriella costume (from High School Musical). I promised her I would be better prepared next year and make them skirts.

You are SO lucky to have a mom that is such a talented seamstress.