Monday, May 5, 2008

why I signed up for this job...

I thought I would briefly explain to you why in my humble opinion mother's need a special day to be recognized and remembered. We all deserve our little day of thanks and recognition because all too often we have days like this:
7:15 am- after getting ready for work I go to my daughter's room to get them ready for school and find that my wonderful 5 year old has wet her bed.

3:35 pm- I finish up work leaving my art class about 10 min early so I can avoid teenage traffic. I walk over to Brooke's classroom fully intending on signing her out and leaving campus before that before mentioned teenage traffic starts up. When I arrive to the classroom the daycare director approaches me with a stack of what appears to be checks. She then tells me that Brooke brought these checks to school and gave them out to several of her classmates. It was not discovered until a mother noticed them in her daughter's backpack. They searched all the other children's backpacks and lockers and gathered as many as they could find. What happens next is a bit fuzzy, all I remember is we are driving away and my wonderful 5 year old is looking very repentant from the back seat.

5:25 pm- While in the final stages of a two cart shopping trip to Walmart with Morgan and Brooke (and all of the drama that that involves) Brooke starts holding herself and doing the potty polka as a very young foreign girl is slowly checking me out. I see that the 20 minute check out can't be more that another 10 minutes and I ask Brooke if she could hold it. When she yells back at me NO while intently grabbing herself I decide to believe her and I point out that the bathroom is luckily no more that 15 feet away. I give her permission to run to the bathroom while I watch her the entire way. I keep my eye on the bathroom as I am loading up my second basket. I turn around to pay for everything and then haul my two carts to the restroom and call for my wonderful 5 year old to hurry up. There is no answer... I call again... nothing. I pull Morgan out of the cart and grab my purse and then walk in and check each stall. NOTHING. I find a worker walking by and ask him to check the boys bathroom... NOTHING. Now all I can think about is this horrible spammed email I had just received this week talking about a little girl that went missing in a Sam's Club and was found just 10 min later in a bathroom with half her head shaved off and stripped down to her underwear. We then get the closest manager who immediately calls in a "CODE ADAM" on her walkie talkie and then barks out a description of my little angel (in times like these bed wetting, check sharing and everything else is totally forgotten and forgiven). I know it sounds cliche but every minute felt like a small eternity. It seems like forever before someone lets the manager know that a girl matching her description had been found. The manager and I hurry to the location and sure enough there's Brooke, sucking her thumb and looking at the purses that I had just earlier told her she couldn't have.

My point is any hired hand could do your laundry, cooking, cleaning, and even your shopping. What I think truly makes a mother (or father) worthy of their own day of thanks is the time we spend worrying, praying, teaching, loving, guiding and protecting our little ones. On our drive from Walmart to Jake and Riley's after school program I started to cry a little as I thought of the four precious little children that we have been entrusted with by our Heavenly Father. I thought about how they were meant to be raised by us and how we were meant to be their parents. I was meant to be their mother. I read your blogs and I realize that everyone has wonderfully unique children but for me there are no other children in the world that I would trade my angels for (especially my wonderful 5 year old).

Happy Mother's Day to all you amazing moms out there, I think we deserve it.

11 comments:

Tam said...

How wonderful (your post... not the experience). I have been thinking that same thing lately about my kids. I remember how hard it was to get them and how easily after their arrival I started taking their presence for granted. My children are my joy and my life and I agree that I was meant to be their mother. And I do love every minute.

Thank you again - your post was wonderful

Torrie said...

Amen sister! I couldn't help but laugh at the little favor Brooke left in everyone's bag. I bet her and Riley make quite the team. We are all blessed moms to have such (most of the time) sweet kids!

Mom/Linda said...

You deserve more than a card this Mother's Day! You deserve a four foot tall gold trophy that your wonderful five year old can keep polished for you.

We are given children so that we can bless their lives and then, one day, we realize that it is OUR life that is being enriched and blessed by being their mother.

clare said...

The check story is hilarious!!! Your kids do the funniest things; even if it doesn't seem funny to you at the time. Liza- I think you are such an amazing mom. Happy Mothers' Day (early)!

KaufusiFamily said...

That "CODE ADAM" is a fabulous new tool each store has enstilled. When he first began using it at Potterybarn Kids, the second day we had to inforce it and shut all the doors and check the bathrooms. We found the cute little girl playing hide and seek in one of the armoire. I almost started crying (yes, I was 7 months prego) because I was so happy that the mother had found her daughter.

You are a WONDERFUL mother! I even though I remember meeting you once (at Sarah's wedding) I can tell from your posts the love you have for your children. They are 4 lucky angels, blessed with a great mother.

I hate to have favorites (especially since I haven't really gotten to know your children), but I would have to say your little Brookie is topping the charts. She makes me laugh at all the "fun" stuff she does. The Easter morning picture of her not being a "team player" is a classic. My husband and I love to watch her sign her Hairspray song "Goodmorning Baltimore.

Thank you for enlightening my days with your posts. Happy Mother's day to you.

KaufusiFamily said...

Ummm..... sorry for taking almost an entire page for my comment.

Monica said...

Wow! I just caught up on all your posts and Wow! You are an amazing woman.
I really hope I get to see you when you come in June. I think I'll crash the party at the Buntings this year!

emily w. said...

I know everyone else already said it but you are a wonderful mom. It seems like there's always something crazy going on in the Clement home but I'm sure you wouldn't have it any other way. Your children are blessed to have you, as you are also blessed to have four beautiful, smart and hilarious kids.

I'm glad Brooke was ok and just doing a little purse shopping.

Goreapollosa said...

I think moms should get two days. One for the kids to bring you the soggy toast and burnt eggs for breakfast and one day where you get to leave the house and talk to grown ups and do your own thing.
Lisa Gore

Emily said...

That is just too crazy to be true! You might want to check your bank account regularly:) I have experienced the same panic you felt at Wal-Mart before. SO NOT fun! I guess we need little experiences like that to fully appreciate our little ones. You are a great Mom! Happy Mother's Day!!

Jen said...

I always get sidetracked by purses! Brooke and I have a few things in common, purses and checkbooks. When I was about 4 I would play "Secretary" and use all of my moms checks and share them too! She is a special girl, as are all of your cuties!