Thursday, July 10, 2008

A touch of class

Last night I went to see a late night movie at the dollar theater with my friend Hope. After we finished the movie we did what most normal people do at 11:00 pm and tried to figure out where in Amarillo a girl could get her some 4th meal (why am I so fat?). We decided on IHOP but thought we would drive out to the east side of town IHOP since the other one just reopened after a nice little food poisoning mandated closure. We ordered our food and then just sat around talking. We waited and waited and waited and waited for our order and finally after about 25 min of waiting our waitress came back and apologized for taking so long but reassured us that, "the cook was back so it shouldn't be much longer"... what the heck?!?!?! While we waited for our food we both noticed something that struck us as odd. We saw not one, but TWO men eating their french fries with a knife and fork. FYI these men were the kind of men you would expect to see on the east side of town at an IHOP at midnight. It really intrigued me, I couldn't figure out what was going on. I had to try it myself (I'm always up for a new experience). When our food FINALLY got there I was armed with my knife and fork. I cut my fries into very appropriate bite size pieces and then I even took it up a notch and used my knife to spread my ketchup before I ate it. I have to be honest with you, it felt very classy.

(Luckily we had a camera phone there to document it all)


Who knew that IHOP customers were on the cutting edge of classy dinner etiquette? I'm a changed woman and I recommend everyone giving it a try. I mean really... eating fries with your hands is so barbaric.

12 comments:

Hailey Clement said...

Hey,Eliza Ihave a BLOG!!!! COME CHECK IT OUT!!!!


Hailey

Mom/Linda said...

You told me on the phone that this little incident reminded you of Dad. Well....he actually does eat his fries with a knife and fork if they are available. It's like the episode of Seinfeld where people were eating candy bars with a knife and fork. Remember? Very classy!

Laura Swenson said...

I don't know if I can keep up with the changing dynamics of the family... I mean, really, proper-uptown etiquette for eating french fries and throwing the tv out??? Next one of you will become a vegan and fill us all with the horrors of eating mammals!

Jocelyn said...

At least once a month the kids and I have the "What foods can you eat with your hands discussion" French fries always make it on our list, but we are definately pretty far from classy.

Emily said...

You are so funny! I love it. Glad you were able to have a fun girls night out. We need those, don't we?

Papa Randy said...

I am so glad you survived IHOP. Many weary travelers are seen going in, but few ever rerturn. Becareful that you don't end up in the X Files movie.

Breezy said...

With a fork and knife? that would make it easier for me to chew foods, most of your stories are really funny! We need to hang out sometimes!

Jen said...

I think the fork would actually help me from freaking out in my mind with worries that my hands are dirty from touching the ketchup bottle and then using the same hands to pick up the fries and eat them...I have issues! I'm gonna try it and see if I feel classy!

Anonymous said...

That was cute, I love your blog.

homegirl said...

You are so funny! I don't know if I could eat fries around you, I'm kinda barbaric!

Monica said...

Don't tempt me!

Unknown said...

I like totally can't believe that you southerners actually eat french fries with your fingers!!
How appalling. I am shocked.
Surely those two gentlemen of which you spoke were from the northeast.
just kidding

Hi, it's Felicia from NH :-)