-A mum is a HUGE wreath like ornament you wear on your chest if you're a girl and your arm if you're a boy. I think the big goal is to add as many trinkets/ribbons on your mum without toppling over when you put it on. Most people make their mum by starting with a teddy bear in the center and building out from there.-If you are dating someone during homecoming it is very much expected that your boy/girl friend will give you a mum.
-Parents often give their daughters a mum in the event that they are single on the big day.
-Parents would almost NEVER give a son a mum (that would be considered kind of lame and pathetic). Boys will only wear a mum if their girlfriends give them one.
-There is a direct correlation between length of mum and how much you are loved (not really, but the queen bees would argue this is true).
-The most popular of popular girls will wear more than one mum. The most I have seen on one girl is three.
-You do not necessarily have to have a mum for all four years but I would guess that 95% of senior girls would feel very sad if they didn't get a mum for their last year.-You NEVER wear a mum more than once (tacky).
-An average sized mum will run you between $100-$150. Although it's perfectly acceptable to make your own which is cheaper but NOT cheap.
-If you're a girl and you do not have a mum but your bff does you are often expected to help with the carrying/repining of their mum(s). It can almost look like a bride with her devoted bride's maids carrying her train.
-If you are one of the many students with a baby in the school daycare it is considered very cute to make a matching mum for baby and "mummy".
-All Friday I find little trinkets (small football helmets, whistles, bells, ribbons, sports emblems etc.) that have fallen off some poor girl's mum. It's like the girls are walking pinatas... if you bump them hard enough you WILL get a prize.
I took Jake and a couple of his friends to the big game and they were all thrilled with all the little prizes they were finding all night long. I wanted to take a picture of this particular student without looking like a creep or something. I got a side shot so you can't fully see her shirt.
It read, "Future CHS homecoming KING". I thought it was very clever (rolling my eyes).As requested by my mother here is a randome picture I took of Brooke tonight. I caught her in a "picture taking mood".

***side note*** We won the game making our record for the year 3-1. This in itself is a worth bragging about. Last year we had one win which we celebrated heartily because it was our first win in like 4 years. We have possibly the worst record in the state of Texas. GO LONGHORNS!!!

11 comments:
Your kids definitely have the "photogenic gene!" Tell Brooke how much I appreciate her posing--I know that she hates to have her picture taken almost as much as I do.
I first became acquainted with "mums" when you gave birth to Riley. Every patient's room in the maternity ward had gigantic blue or pink mums hung on them. I thought it was very strange.
"Mums" have never really caught on here...
Who won the game?
Man this post makes me miss high school football!!! That sounds so exciting - did Jeremy give you one?!?!?
I doubt they do something like that here but I will have to go to a game soon and find out.
I didn't see the side note below Brooke's picture. Congrats, Longhorns!
Wow 29 years on this earth and I have never heard of "mums"! Allthough if we had these when I was in school I probably wouldn't have known about it. Congrats on the win! So I have to ask, was "Juno" a big hit at your school!
Texas is a funny state. I am still amiling after reading this fun one.
One thing you forgot to mention. These BEAUTIFUL creations are lifelong prizes. Girls (and some guys) put them on bulletin boards or just pin them to the wall in their rooms. Moms are NOT to move them. All of my kids' mums are still attached to the places they were pinned. Some as old as 6 years ago. I am not so pathetic as mine are neatly packaged in my keepsake boxes. Texas is so cool.
I have no words for this post. I can't believe the baby and mom have matching mums....ummm okay. I will say that as a tx high schooler (yhat went to school with girls that had mums that light up, yup battery pack and all) I had common sense even at a young age. My date would say "what kind of mum do you want" and I would reply " don't waste your money on that crap, let's go to dinner and a movie instead". True story!
A mini mum?! Future Homecoming king?! Isn't teen pregnancy something our kids shouldn't look forward to?
OMGoodness...the boys' are called garters, not mums! Boys wearing mums would be just silly ;) Yeeeee Haaaaawwwwwww!!
Those have got to be the most hideous things I've ever seen! No offense. You should've seen some of the things I wore in high school, but nothing like that! whoa
Post a Comment