Several weeks ago at church this really nice woman approached me and asked for my phone number. I realize that I am well into my 30's but I still had a little bit of a mental flashback to high school and got VERY excited. I mean the "cute, popular” girl wanted MY phone number (the "nerdy, kind of invisible" type girl). I was on pins and needles the next day or two just wondering why she wanted my number and when she was going to call. Like I said I know it's really not like that but come on some of you must understand the weird excitement and curiosity I was feeling. Was she getting a group of girls together for some very chic girls night out (not that I'd trade my group or my GNOs for anything)? Perhaps she wanted to invite me to dinner one night or to a movie. What ever it was I was really honored that she asked for my number (I'm such a dork!!). The next day I get that fateful phone call that I had been waiting for. I let it ring twice just so I wouldn't look too anxious. Just as I thought, she was on the other end. The moment of truth was here... what grand event was I getting invited to? Where would we be hanging out together?
Me: Hi, how are you doing?!?
Her: Hey Eliza I'm good. How are you?
Me: Good, so what are you up to?
Her: Nothing much I just wanted to call you and ask if you would be willing to help out for our next Enrichment meeting.
DUH!!! That's what she wanted... Of course I said I would be happy to help. Then I got my assignment. She said that my name was thrown out as someone who would be perfect for the assignment. Now I'm back to being curious... She said that they are going to be having a lesson on preparedness and they wanted to do a fun video to introduce the topic. They are asking two families to help out. One family would show the right way to be prepared for an emergency situation (evacuation, or family emergency) and the other family would represent a VERY unprepared family.
Let me guess which one she wants us to play....
She confirmed what I was guessing she wanted to film our family unprepared for an evacuation. They would come by the house with a video camera and our responsibility was to not have anything ready (piece of cake). You know the drill…kids without shoes, grabbing random cans of food, can't find the baby. Things like that. They are making it all very silly and melodramatic and they thought I would do a great job being funny and have a good time with it. I'm sure that if my sister Emily and I were in the same ward they would have cast her family for the "other" role.
Today she came by with another sister from the ward. I think we did a good job hamming it up for the camera. The kids had a blast jumping on the couch and racing around the house with their arms full of canned food. I'm really anxious to see how it all looks. She was going to film it in black and white and make it look very grainy and old. No voices--just frantic music in the background and funny subtitles. I have a feeling that one of the people working on the project might see this so could I please just make one simple request? Could you please have one of the subtitles read, "remember folks the camera adds a good 75 pounds."
Monday, September 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

12 comments:
I hope you can get a copy of the finished video and post it (or at least a portion). Sounds like a fun way to introduce a boring (but important) topic.
Aaaagghhhh...was that a lightening bolt??!!??
You are not a dork. Making new friends at 30 is just as hard as 15. Anyway maybe this will be the opportunity to become friends with this person. You never know.
Eliza you are very smart and in no way are you a dork! The way you explained it all sure made me laugh. I can’t wait for this film to come out at the dollar theater or on video. I definitely want a copy. I feel very strongly that someone is going to be nominated for an academy award! I’ll bet the kids had a ball, not to mention the parents. You guys are awesome. We love and miss you all soooooooooooo much.
That is so funny! I bet the kids had sooo much fun! The Taylors could deffinately be cast in the "not pepared" role! Who knows if we see the video maybe it will inspire us.
Ha Ha
Liza, Liza, Liza!! This is just too funny!
Who called you??????????
You are so funny. I can just picture your family running around with canned food. Was Jeremy in on this event? I, too will need to see this video. I may have to hop on over to the other side to attend your Enrichment meeting to watch your debut.
You are so cute! I bet you are the perfect person for the "job!"
Ok--you have guilted me into becoming a blogger. It was not what you said but I figure I can prove to you there are families that are much more "unprepared" than your crew.
Eliza,
Wow, I am Jealous someone asked you for your number. If they wanted unprepared they should've filmed my house. Our last trip out of town, for Alexis' Gymnastics meet, I forgot to pack anything for little Gordy, we had to find a Target store and buy him everything he needed. I also forgot to pack the address of the gym where we were supposed to go for her meet.
Eliza,
There's a slight chance that it may have been me that nominated you for the role. Hey, I read your blog, I know how funny you are. They also wanted someone that wouldn't be offended about the whole thing and I assured them you wouldn't be. I'm sure you were great! Wish I could have been there!
When you notice your Canadian stalker, it's just me.
Hope your family is doing well!
Hilarious! Hilarious! Hilarious! Everyone got a huge kick out of the video! I think you just might have a future in**Show business**
Thanks soooo much for participating- you are such a good sport! I'll get you a copy to send to your agent. Plus, CALL ME if you want to go eat or see a movie- that would be a blast! (FYI: you are sooo not a dork, you are a hip-happenin' sort of chick:)
Post a Comment