Thursday, May 22, 2008

indecent proposal?

Tonight I interpreted for our schools wrestling banquet. We ate okay bbq and the coaches talked non-stop for two and a half hours. By far the most interesting part of it all was when a tough looking mother (two lip rings, a dozen ear rings, eye brow piercing, tattoos, LOTS of cleavage) came up to me with a proposition. She started off by complimenting me on how "sexy" and tall I was. She then asks me if I skate (at this point I'm terrified at where this conversation is going). "Like roller skating or ice skating?" I ask. She clarifies things up for me by saying roller skating. I told her it's been like 20 or 25 years why? She then says I would be perfect for roller derby.
ROLLER DERBY!! Who knew I had an inner athlete inside of me? I'm pretty sure each roller derby team seeks out someone about 6 ft tall and shaped like a tree trunk (I knew my large stature would come in handy one day). I'm thinking my size was the only requirement to make the team (I'd be the Shaq of roller derby) but still I'M wanted on a sports team, now how many of you have been recruited to join a full contact sports team lately? I was checking out some of the underwear I mean uniforms they wear for their sport and started thinking that I'm not sure how derbyish I would look only showing skin from my knees and elbows down. I might stand out in my modest derby attire. I just thought I would share my newest opportunity with you all. Do you think it was a compliment or an insult? I'm really struggling on how I should react to this.
For all you plus sized ladies out there here are some of the bonuses to a little bulge:

1. very minimal risk for developing osteoporosis (weight bearing exercises is the best way to prevent it... ie walking/moving with excess weight)

2. no need to iron your clothes when you fill them out nicely

3. invite to join your local roller derby team and from there who knows... javelin thrower, arm wrestling, heck why stop there full on WWF style wresting, I say dream big...

8 comments:

Vinyl Wonders said...

We know you didn't want to turn it down, but lets face it, with 4 kids, that's a big time commitment!! Practice, makeup applications, slithering into the pink leotards.
Then the promotions at the flea market. WOW, I say go a head and tell them maybe when Morgie is in Kindergarten.








only you Liza!

Mom/Linda said...

I definitely think you should feel flattered--no one else in the family has been recruited for an athletic endeavor. Well, except for Carl and his bike riding and Emily and her triathlon and Jerm and his raquetball. But I'd like to see them try to do their sports in fish net stockings! If you change your mind, I'd be happy to sew you a leopard skin cape and matching skate tote.

Unknown said...

You do have alot of guts, and you are known to assert yourself in any situation. I dont think this is one of those situations. The costume would be an issue. Id have to agree you are tall and sexy and did I mention Fierce!

emily w. said...

That's hilarious! I would have been kind of nervous when she started with the whole "sexy" thing. You never know where that conversation is going to go.

Once when I was waitressing a lady starting going on and on about what a "natural beauty" I was. I was flattered until she went into her pitch for Mary Kay.

Yeah, that's what I thought.

These needs to be filed in the "It could only happen to Liza" drawer right along-side Mexican wrestling and borrowing ties from local weathermen.

Laura Swenson said...

I think I would make a GREAT sumo wrestler. I would struggle with the modesty issues, but if you take a look at any of the really great ones, picture my face and you have me!!!

All it really takes is pushing, shoving and throwing salt!

David and Amanda said...

Too funny...total compliment--she "saw" something in you. Plus, being in the derby seems as if it takes the whole "no guts, no glory" attitude--can't teach that! You go girl.

clare said...

I would take it as a total compliment! Although I hadn't pictured seeing you in THAT sport per say, I would agree that you are tall, sexy and could probably kick some behind if necessary. The uniform could be awkward, but I'm sure you could make it work!

Karrie said...

WOW! I'm jealous. I say go for it! Seriously- so fun, and funny. I say it's a compliment. If someone recruited me, I'd try it for sure, then get injured for sure, because as much as I want to be tough, I'm just not.