I had such an amazing time with Jacob in Orlando. I loved meeting so many new friends at the psoriasis conference and attending the informative workshops. I loved that we were literally a five minute walk from all the shops and restaurants in Downtown Disney. I loved having the opportunity to take Jake to the Magic Kingdom. I loved every minute of it. I would have to say that my favorite part of our whole adventure was being able to spend some one on one time with Jake. I really feel almost guilty that Jake and I got this special weekend together. He was so excited about the flight to Orlando. It was such a joy for me to watch his excitement. I loved how he was up for anything and was so reasonable and rational with our limitations and schedule. He never once complained about not getting something that he wanted or not having enough time to do something. He just went with the flow the entire time. We walked ALL OVER Downtown Disney holding hands (I don't know how much longer I can get away with that) taking pictures with the huge statues of all the Disney characters.

Jake also appreciated all the nice little details of our fancy resort. We would come back to our room after a long day and the first thing he would want to do is put on the big white robe and sit out on the balcony regardless to how muggy and hot it was. He also took advantage of the free massages that were being offered at the convention. He was not going to miss one bit of the experience of spending time in such a nice hotel.

It was a trip neither of us will ever forget. I think my favorite part of the whole trip was on the last night when we were at Disney World's Magic Kingdom. It was dark and the firework show was starting. The crowd of people was very thick but I figured we would be able to see everything since it was a firework show. Disney used different light tricks and technologies to project images onto Cinderella's castle. I knew that Jacob was missing that part of it so I knelt down and had him climb up onto my back. Jacob is now nine years old and getting to be a very big boy. I knew that this was most likely the last time I would be able to carry him on my back. I got a little emotional as I thought about this and Jacob being the very sensitive boy that he is leaned over and gave me a big squeeze around my neck and a little kiss on my cheek. He stayed up there for the next 20 minutes totally enamored by the show.
The show was pretty amazing but I preferred watching his face from the corners of my eye. It truly was a magical moment. It will be a very special memory for me for my entire life. Thank you so much Jeremy, Aunt Laura, and Brooke and Garth Thomas for watching my girls so that Jake and I could have our magic weekend together. Thank you so much to all the other people who so kindly helped Jake and I out with the spending/Disney ticket money. I know we would have had fun with our weekend without the trip to Magic Kingdom and the spending money for prizes and nice lunches together but I'm not going to lie those things really did make it that much more special. A huge THANK YOU to the National Psoriasis Foundation for providing the scholarship money so that this trip could even be possible I can't tell you how much it meant to Jacob to meet other children (for the first time in his life) who also have a serious case of psoriasis. He was always told he was not "the only one" who had psoriasis but until he met the other kids I don't know if he believed me.
I recommend everyone taking a one on one weekend with their kids. I hope through out the years I can continue this tradition with my girls.
Jacob has posted his thoughts and lots of pictures from our weekend in Orlando please take a minute and check it out on his blog. He loves to get comments!!

11 comments:
Thanks so much for sharing the photos and for telling us about your wonderful trip. I am so glad that you got to go.
Jake and Eliza I am so happy for you and that you had a wonderful time you both deserve it. Time spent with each other is absolutely priceless. Jake are you picking Mr. Potato Head's nose?
I choked up reading your report. Jake is such a good boy and will grow to be such a fine man because he has such a wonderful relationship with his parents. Things like this trip with you and his hunting trips with Jeremy will always be cherished memories!
Aw shucks girl you made me cry. I'm so glad you and Jake got the chance to do this. What a wonderful memory for both of you.
That was very sweet, made me cry too, although not at all a great feat these days. We can't wait to see you guys next weekend. I'm so glad you guys had fun!
Whatever, are we all a bunchof emotional misfits or just parents who truly know how special the momentsa re when you can put your son on your shoulders! I too am crying right now picturng it and also remembering the great moments I have had with my children. Being a parent truly is a gift of a job from a loving Heavenly Father. Thanks for letting me read about your life. I love the Reed family. Linda
I am so glad you had such a great time! I think I will make it a goal to take each of my kids when they are around 8 on a special vacation! We miss you!!
That is so awesome what you got to do with Jake. I hope you were able to get a lot of good info while you were there. One on ones are the BEST!
Oh my goodness!! I'm so happy for you two that you were able to make that trip! What great memories you'll have forever!!
Sounds like you had a great trip. How fun would that be to just be with one child for a weekend. Looks like you had some good eats at Rainforest Cafe too. We always make it there when at disney.
Don't feel at all guilty, each child deserves to spend some quality one on one time with they're parents! What a special thing for both of you. You are so lucky to have such a sweet tender boy. I love Jake! And he is lucky to have a mother that is so invested in his life. You are such a great mom and role model to me. I love you! By the way you made me cry to!
Post a Comment