Sunday, September 21, 2008

what a weekend!!!

Jacob, Riley, Brooke (my bff not my daughter), and myself all went to Dallas this weekend for the NPF walk for awareness. On the way to Dallas Jake made this comment to me:

Jake: Mom did you see that dead bunny on the side of the road?

Me: No I didn't...

Jake: Yeah he's dead... but don't worry, the decomposers will take care of him.

I don't know why but it really tickled me when he threw that comment out.

Anyhow, our team had raised a little over $600 dollars for the foundation and we were all anxious for the big day to arrive. This is the first year that there has been a walk for awareness in Dallas. The organizers had hoped to raise $25,000 dollars and ended up raising over $40,000. It was a big success for a first time walk. Our little team (Jake, Riley, Brooke and myself) ended up winning a gift basket for being a top raiser. The basket of goodies was very impressive. It included several restaurant gift certificates, a voucher for two pairs of Spira brand walking or running shoes, a Target gift card, Dead Sea salt lotions and bath salts, a Nokia phone, two separate gift cards for a free microdermabrasion session, and Riley's personal favorite a leather bound journal (with the Nokia logo on it). We were not expecting to win a gift basket so that was a very exciting surprise. We were able to split up the prizes with Jacob taking the phone, Riley taking the notebook, Brooke taking a pair of shoes, a few freebies from On the Boarder restaurant, and a promise to make anther trip with me to Dallas for our free microdermabrassion sessions and for a free steak dinner at Truluck's. Jeremy and I get to split the rest :).

5K is really not very far (3.1 miles) I figured it would be pretty easy for both Jake and Riley however I was a little too optimistic when it came to Riley. I ended up carrying her for well over a mile of it.

When we got back to the party she was wiped out and had to replenish with donuts and a short rest on one of the tables. Jake on the other hand ran most of it and beat us handily. I tried to remind him that it was a WALK for awareness not a run but he's got a competitive side to him and he wanted to "win".
The "party" included two of the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders signing autographs, a funny clown,
and Reba McEntire's sister (I can't remember her name) singing. To call it a party would be a bit of a stretch but hey it was the first year. The award for "my favorite conversation of the weekend" went to Riley and the two cheerleaders.

Cheerleader #1: Hey cutie what's your name?

Riley: Riley (big smile)

Cheerleader #1: Riley that's such a pretty name, are you chewing gum?

Riley: yes (big smile)

Cheerleader #1: Wow guess what, Cassie (pointing to cheerleader #2) LOVES to chew gum!

Riley: really?

Cassie: Yup, I do and I love to take pictures too, do you want to take a picture with us?

Riley: Sure

Picture was taken of the group



Cassie: You're just like me... you like to take pictures and chew gum maybe you can be a cheerleader when you grow up.

Riley: Ohhh cool (big smile)

I know I already posted about the "International Talk Like a Pirate Day" but while we were on our walk I realized it was yet another obscure holiday on Saturday. I know I'm getting this info out to my readers a little late but it's not too late to pencil the date in for next year. September 20th is the "AKC Responsible Dog Ownership Day".

I'm starting to think anyone who wants can just declare any old day a holiday. I have a hard time believing either of those days were ok'd by congress or anything. I'm sort of considering coming up with my own official "unofficial" obscure holiday. What do you all think?

We finished with the walk and all the festivities pretty early and Brooke threw out the suggestion of going to Six Flags over Texas for the day. Shockingly the kids were all on board with the idea so we headed over to the park.

It was a really nice day with very short lines. In the five hours that we were there we were able to do pretty much everything we wanted to do. The kids had a blast and I was surprised that my little Riley was tall enough to ride most of the fast rides too. I have always told people that I loved roller coasters. I mean I have been to Disneyland countless times and I LOVE going on Space Mountain (their fastest ride). I guess I never really knew how intense roller coasters could be. Bottom line is I don't really like roller coasters.



I was a trooper and went on all but one of the coasters (Riley wasn't tall enough to ride on the Superman ride so I graciously sat out with her) and each time I walked off the ride I felt like I was going to puke. NOT FUN!! For future reference, I like kiddie roller coasters. As we drove back to Lubbock late Saturday night to drop off Brooke and both Riley and Jake agreed that this was the best day EVER.

We got in to Lubbock so late that I decided we would just spend the night. The kids had some fun the next morning playing with Garth Le until it was time to hit the road and get back to our family back in Amarillo.

I owe big thank yous to several people. Thank you to Torrie and her family for watching my girls Friday evening until Jeremy got off work. Thank you to Heather and her family for watching my girls all day Saturday while Jeremy worked. And of course thank you to Brooke for joining with me for the walk and for the fabulous time we had in Dallas. I couldn't have done all this with out my wonderful friends helping me out. I love you guys!!!


***Side note***
Brooke has been working VERY hard the last couple of months on losing weight and her hard work is paying off. I'm so proud of her. She has a much healthier life style now and it's inspiring. Who knows Brooke maybe the next time you see me I'll be a smaller version of myself too. :)

11 comments:

Papa Randy said...

WOW! Sounds like a power packed and fun weekend. I am so happy ya'll had so much fun. Six Flags is a fun place, but can be very intense. That would have been so tiring to go on a big walk and then to Six Flags. Way to go everyone. Sure sounds you have some great friends.

emily w. said...

What a fun day and some great memories for Jake and Riley. And what is the deal w/ you and free swag? Does Riley realize how "lucky" she was :) I'm glad you guys had fun!

Mom/Linda said...

You have more adventures in any given weekend than I have in a year! I'm glad you got back home safely, and so glad that everyone had a great time!

Laura Swenson said...

It makes me tired just reading about all of your adventures! What a great weekend. I bet it was hard getting up and going to school this morning, but what a lot you have to share with your friends! I am so proud of all of you and your wonderful efforts to help others...

Brooke said...

It truly was the best day ever! I think I still have a walking hangover. It is one thing to do a 5k and quite another to do a 5k then go to Six Flags and do another 10 or so. It was so fun though! I think we should make it an annual thing, but after seeing all the swag, I am going to try a bit harder next year in the fund raising department...for the cause of course. Thanks so much for letting me join your team. It was so great to spend time with you and the older kids. Although Jake may have to go it alone on the Superman ride next year.

clare said...

I am so glad you guys got to go- what a fun time! The cheerleader converssation cracks me up: Too bad you couldn't talk longer about all of her fascinating talents and interests- I bet she also likes smiling, breathing, and holding kittens too! Okay, I am being mean- but I am so glad you all had a good time.

clare said...

And I know I spelled conversation wrong (typo)- I am not some stupid cheerleader :)

Vinyl Wonders said...

It sounds like you guys had such a great time!!

Taylors said...

Wow what a fun weekend. I a have to admit I am a little jealous of the swag. It looks like the kids had a great time. I am with Clare on the cheerleader conversation "hillarious"! I am glad Brooke could go with. You have such great friends but it deffinately goes both ways. We misss you guys. Love Ya!
P.S. Congrats Brooke on your weight loss!

Emily said...

What an awesome weekend you had!!! What a great opportunity. Glad it was a success.

Breezy said...

wow! i am a little speechless, i am glad y'all had good time. poor you! you must be worn out!