Thursday, September 6, 2007

The things a 4 year-old says...



Last week when I was picking up Jake and Riley from their after school program I commented to them how much I really liked their after school teacher. There was a small group of children around me who heard me say this including Brooke who looked over at the teacher and then at me saying, "but she's black!" I was shocked and appalled at her response. I immediately wanted to grab my children and leave so I could have a little conversation with Brooke. I turned to her and said, "Brooke we like all good people we don't care what color their skin is." To this comment Brooke says, "We don't like BLACK people." All I could think was where did I go wrong???? A rag-a-muffin of a little girl next to us then says, "we don't like black people in our family either." I quickly told her, "well we do!" The whole way home I tried to explain to Brooke and the other kids that all people are our Heavenly Father's children and that we like all good people regardless of their skin color. Later that night when it came time to read a book I made sure that book was one of our many children books that have a black character in it. I really wanted to drive my point home to my children that we like all people. The very next day we were in the same gym picking up Jake and Riley and the teacher approached me with some paperwork she needed me to sign. Brooke was holding onto my hand and watching this teacher very intently. When Miss Tiffany bent down to say hi to Brooke I got a little nervous as to what would be said next. Brooke looked right at her and said, "we LIKE black people in our family." She chuckled and said that she liked white people too.

That could have gone a lot worse....

4 comments:

Monica said...

That's a great story!! I guess you did teach your children right after all!! Oh and I'm so glad to keep up with your life via this blog stuff. Miss you!!!

Brooke said...

Ok, so Liza wanted me to read this and see if it is too offensive, and I just have to say this is sooooo funny and is just so like a little kid. I mean, how many times have we been so embarrassed about something our kids have said that we have no idea where it came from? I just have to say that ANYONE with children would not place blame on you because kids pick up things from anywhere and everywhere, what is important is that we do just what you did and tell them what is right, and that is what they will always remember and pass on.

Papa Randy said...

I am laughing my head off. That was so dang funny. We certainly love our Brooky girl.

Mom/Linda said...

One day You'll have to remind Brooke of this story when her kids say something embarrasing.