
My good friends Shaunna , Erin and myself all thought we should start a Bunco group. We had our first official Bunco night last Saturday and it was a blast! I would highly recommend this to anyone who likes girls night outs, good food, chit chatting, no kids for a couple of hours, and major laughs.

I have played Bunco in the past however it was forever ago that being said it was somehow enough experience to qualify me as the MC for the night. I have never played without 12 people so we invited our nine other guests and got a confirmation from everyone that they would be there. Then of course we got a call about three hours before the night was to begin saying someone was backing out. We were all a little frantic for the next two and a half hours while we tried to call every female we knew who had ten dollars (these were our only qualifications to get in at this point). I eventually was able to get a hold of my friend's teenage daughter who was free and thanks to a little babysitting she had done the week earlier she also had the buy in needed. She was thrilled to be invited and even though she was the only one under aged there it all worked out. Everyone brought ten dollars to play so there was $120 in the pot as prize money. We all decided that the prizes would go as followed:
most Buncos- $50
most wins- $30
most loses- $20
travelers- $20
I would say that weirdest/funniest moment of the night goes to my "toe cancer intervention". Here's what happened...
I have a really great friend named Danielle who is always much more concerned with my health than I am. I wouldn't call her a hypochondriac......... to her face :) she just loves spending her free time googling every sort of sickness or ailment known to man (we love ya Danielle and wouldn't want you any other way). Now that you know her background you need to know a little bit of mine. I have this really gross mole/possible cancer on my toe. It has been there as long as I can remember and yes it has slightly changed color and size. I really never even think about it but Danielle has been hounding me to get it checked out ever since she has known of it's existence. About a third of the way through our Bunco game Danielle realizes that one of the ladies there is a physicians assistant specializing and working in a dermatologist's office. For the next 30 min she begs me to take off my shoe and sock and let this poor woman look at my mole. I kept trying to change the subject but it wasn't going to get dropped. Eventually Beth (the PA) is curious enough to see it that she also starts in on me. At one point there was mention of an intervention involving me getting pined down and someone else taking my shoe off (I say bring it sista... you know I could have taken you down hehe). Finally I gave in to the most anti-climatic ending, Beth looks at it for literally two seconds and says, "oh that's fine and normal".
Of course now that the shoe and sock are off everyone has to stop the game to check out my gross toe. It really was funny I wasn't at all upset I was just laughing the whole time. I guess it could have been worse... an OBGYN could have shown up.
After playing/talking for about 2 1/2 hours the game was over and four lucky people (including myself :) ) walked away with a percentage of the pot. Everyone loved playing and we hope to make this a monthly event we already have our May Bunco night on the calendar. I think everyone involved looked at this as a fun cheap girls night out. I know that I would have spent more than ten dollars to sit at a restaurant with my girls talking and eating. We got to do both of those here and you get to leave with the chance of a little spending money in your pocket. It was a win win for everyone.

15 comments:
Love it! I have been checking your blog a lot waiting for this post--can't wait til next time!
Erin
I'm jealous--sounds like fun! Sarah is part of a bunco group in St. George and it was her turn to host while she was here in Bakersfield. Sean wanted to go ahead and host it for her but she wouldn't let him. And thank you to Danielle for forcing the "toe intervention." I, for one, am glad to hear that your gross toe is "normal."
That was so fun, gross toe and all. Love a good girl's night out especially when there's money to be won!
I'm jealous- it looks fun! I don't have a Bunco group, nor do I have enough girlfriends to make one. Too bad I can't fly in every month to join you guys! By the way, I was looking at Morgan on your blog and I swear she looks a lot like me when I was her age. We need Mom to pull up a side by side and compare. She's pretty darn cute so it may be conceded of me for noticing, but...
Looks like fun. I must say I have never played bunco buy you make it look fun. Maybe I should get together with emily when i make to TX. in 2 months. Great pictures.
Sorry BUT not BUY. I wish I could edit these comments. argghh.:(
I have Bunco next Tuesday night! I can't wait...
Just had my Bunco group last Friday. You know, if someone bails, you can have a ghost player and the game still can go on.The partnerless person rolls for their ghost partner, & takes them to the next table if they move. Looks like fun! Sounds like your toe was the life of the party.
What a great post! I had so much fun! Here's looking forward to next month! By the way you were an awesome MC!
ps I actully read your post:)
How fun! I would love to start a Bunco group here. I'm with Clare, I'm not sure I could rustle up 11 friends. However, maybe if they knew there was money involved...
I do enjoy the Bunco! Our group is every bit as fun minus the no kids part. Ten out of the twelve are pregnant or nursing so there are usually babies there. It kind of slows down the game but I do enjoy a night out. One month out of the year we have couples Bunco which Sean enjoys a little to much! Maybe he would also enjoy a jewelry party?
Sounds like you had a great time. And PHEW about the toe.
I have always wanted to play Bunco but really don't even know anything about it. Have you decided what you are doing with your winnings? I hope it is something fun...
Hey EMily. I will get my In laws to join. That would be 5 of us. I dont know how to play so you would have to teach me.
:)
Wow, you do so much stuff with "the girls"! LOL about the mole.
How fun! I'm mostly glad to hear that you don't have cancer of the toe!
Post a Comment