Sunday, April 20, 2008

it's gardening time

Jeremy and the kids have been really fired up with planting a fruit and vegetable garden. I think it sounds like fun but I honestly have some sort of post traumatic stress syndrome from gardening in my youth. It's actually very cute they all went out and bought a bunch of seeds and then soaked them for a few days in water. A couple of days ago Jeremy promised them that they could wait up for him to get home from work so they could plant their seeds in little peat pots. We now have the peat pots in all our kitchen and dinning room window sills. Thanks to daylight savings Jeremy comes home from work in the evenings and has about an hour of sunlight left for him to clear his little garden out. Jake and Jeremy both bought themselves some gardening gloves and rakes. They have cleared an area of about 25 feet by 10 feet and are just waiting for our seedlings to be strong enough to transplant into their new home. We hope that in the next 3-4 months we will have pumpkins, corn, cantaloupe, watermelon, zucchini, squash, tomatoes, and strawberries. We will keep everyone posted on our progress. The whole thing seems very provident/pioneerish to me.

6 comments:

Mom/Linda said...

I'm so proud of you!!!!! See....all those years of forced yard work and gardening are paying off.

emily w. said...

Good luck with the garden. I've been wanting to plant one too. Ours will involve building a planter box and bringing in dirt since we pretty much live on top of rock.

Torrie said...

Way to go! I would love to have a garden but it all seems like so much work for me. I like the ease of the grocery store garden.

Emily said...

Good job! Our garden is starting to sprout--well, some of it is. Let us know how it turns out!

Laura Swenson said...

Vicki is making a hydroponic garden. No dirt... just plants.

She is a scientist!

Anna B said...

Good luck with that one.