Monday, March 3, 2008

My faboulous girls weekend retreat/ I have an awesome husband

I am not what you would call a world traveler however the past two weekends I have been able to make quick weekend trips. Two weekends ago I was very lucky (thanks Jeremy!!!) to go on a girls weekend out (much like my girls night out but much longer). Two of my best friends Torrie and Danielle, and of course myself had been planning and budgeting for our little Oklahoma City retreat for about six weeks when I was in the car crash. The girls all told me they would understand if I couldn't make it but after talking with Jeremy we decided I should still go.
It was so much fun. We got in late on Friday night and walked around the Brickyard district. We soon figured that this was not the place for married, LDS women. It was mostly bars and drunk college kids. We did find a bar and grill so we could at least get something to eat and then we headed to our hotel. I am very pleased to say that after very little persuasion on Danielle and my self's part we were upgraded from a boring normal room to an awesome huge suite (Jedi powers). It never hurts to ask... We stayed up and chatted and just had a great time.

Saturday was set aside for some shopping and movie watching. I was pretty much broke but all I heard the week heading up to our great escape was "Steve and Barry" this and "Steve and Barry" that. Danielle totally loved this store and she promised us that everything in there was less than nine bucks. Torrie and I were thinking there were probably some good deals but come on EVERYTHING was under nine dollars?!?!?! We drove out there it was not in the nicest mall but I guess if you are giving things away how could they afford the rent? We walked in and saw the $8.98 signs everywhere. There were thick winter jackets, jeans, shoes, swimsuits tons of stuff all sizes and $8.98 signs next to all of it. Torrie leaned over to me and said, "I think I want to double check with a worker that EVERYTHING is included in this sale before I get too excited". I agreed and so we asked a girl working there and shock of all shocks Danielle was right (sorry we ever doubted you girl). I know I said I was broke but come on. When else do you see these kinds of prices. I bought some stuff for the kids focusing on the jackets, shoes, and jeans. I found a pair of Sarah Jessica Parker's jeans in my size so I had to buy that. Big girls don't normally get the good deals. I also grabbed me a new hoodie. I'm a sucker for a nice thick hoodie. It was really fun and we were there for two and half hours. We had lunch and then went to the nice mall.

I have a hard time stomaching "nice" malls. It all makes me nauseas. The $500+ purses for sale, the women wearing outfits that cost more than one months mortgage, the little kids dressed in better clothes than I will ever own. It's not my favorite. I don't get it I guess. I mean my nine dollar jeans are doing a great job of doing what they are suppose to. Why do some people NEED/want two hundred dollar jeans? It blows my mind. This particular mall had a teeth whitening kiosk. You can pay $100 and have your teeth at least two shades whitter in 15 minutes. They use the gel and intense LED lights to do it. Have you ever heard of this? I was sort of shocked. I don't know what to think of this. I am all for nice white teeth but at the mall? The people working it had on white coats to fool you into thinking they are dentists or something. What do you think? Would you chance it? While we were at the mall we watched a chick flick "29 dresses". It was cute but very much rent able.




We had another fabulous meal and then we headed to Wal-Mart to buy us some false eyelashes (another item we saw lots of people wearing at the mall, not always on women though...). We couldn't find any of the cheap eyelashes and we were NOT willing to pay five bucks for them we settled for Easter candy and a card game. I would like to say this is where we turned in for the night however what would a girls weekend be without a quick trip to your local Indian casino? We drove out to River...something Torrie and Danielle each took out a twenty and made me promise not to let them dip into any more money. I totally would have taken out a twenty but I think I already established I was broke so I didn't. I went along as their voice of reason. They both headed for the nickel slots and I sat there with them looking a bit pathetic I guess because they both would occasionally slip a dollar into my machine. After Danielle hit it rich by winning $50 in nickels (of course you have to subtract her initial investment of $20) we decided to call it quites. We left smelling very stinky which of course made my morning shower a must (dang it).




The next day was Sunday and we thought it would be very appropriate to visit the Oklahoma City bombing memorial. It was so peaceful, sullen, inspiring, and reverent all at the same time. We walked all over the grounds remembering the day of the horrible incident and reading the inspirational moving words that were engraved on parts of the memorial. I would totally recommend this memorial to anyone. It is a must see if you are ever even close to OKC. The last stop before we took off was for a nice meal at the Toby Kieth BBQ place. It was really good but so stinking fatty it kind of makes you sick to think about it (this coming from someone who doesn't exactly watch what she eats enough). My grilled chicken sandwich for example comes with bacon, ham and LOTS of melted cheese on it. I wanted to avoid the fried food so I TRIED to make a healthier choice oh well... it was dang good. The weekend was wonderful. Our husbands were wonderful for taking over for us (I came home to a totally clean house, and left over homemade dinner in the fridge) and we sure do hope this can be a yearly treat.

15 comments:

Jen said...

Eliza...still as fun as ever! I have not seen or heard from you in years and thanks to BLOGGING, I find you! I would love to catch up if have time for an old friend!

P.S. I sent you an email...

Mom/Linda said...

Sounds like fun! You are blessed with good friends and a truly outstanding husband! And I'm with you on malls...they stab my brain big time!

Jen Wolff said...

Oh, the casino sounds like a blast!!! I always think of the slot machines as Chuck E. Cheese's, but for adults! Your husband deserves husband of the year!!!!

Tam said...

What a wonderful weekend. I would have had a great time but I am still in the guilt phase of mothering. You know... guilty if anyone but you is doing the mothering. I just had my first girls night with no kids a few months ago. I am sad to say it but before that was when I didn't have kids. How sad...

I love your casino story. I LOVE the slots but Michael isn't a big fan. We went to Wendover once while living in Utah and it was fun but stinky!! Plus after about 1 hour I started to feel like I was wearing cig. smoke. YUCK... but still fun

Anonymous said...

You know, I would have to abstain from the kiosk teeth whitening. The idea just kind of makes me twitch a little.

When my dentist retired, the doctor who bought the practice offered free whitening kits to all the adults (I couldn't refuse such an offer... vanity never faileth!). The gel alone is strong stuff! Sure it took a week for my teeth to look a shade whiter... but yikes, 2 shades in 15 minutes? I wonder how long it would take for the sensitivity to lessen after such an experience.

I am glad you had such a great time.

Willow

Tam -- let go of the guilt... a happy, rested, rejuvinated mommy is a GOOD mommy. Besides, what kid doesn't love dad time. My dad used to give us squirt and dart guns and let us run through the house. Mom would never have allowed that! Hmmm, suddenly I see your point in wanting to watch the kids... I wonder what Russ has let my boys do when I am not home!!

Leasa said...

How fun! It's always great to get some much needed R&R time as a mom. Right on to Jeremy for manning the fort while you were gone. I can't wait to see pictures!

Torrie said...

We will definitely make it a yearly event. I had a blast with you and Danielle and look forward to our next girls night out! Love ya! DNQ

Monica said...

Eliza, I wish I could have a girls' weekend with you!! You are one of the most fun people I know.

And the teeth whitening thing is hilarious...Shelby and I + kids were at the Valley Plaza the other night and saw one there. I thought the same thing you did!! What in the world!! I keep my opinions to myself about teeth whitening in general. I try not to judge people;)

The Queen Bee said...

I love girl time. We have a girls night out in my ward once a month and I look forward to that a lot. We have a teeth whitening kiosk in our mall... I guess it is pretty strange when you think about it!

karen said...

Love the glasses and what a bruise. I hope you are feeling better now.

Jenn said...

Wow, sounds like a ton of fun! :0)

Emily said...

Good for you Liza!! I'd say you definitely deserved a fun girls time for what you've been through lately!

Alisha said...

Hey Eliza...you're still pretty precious girl. I'm surfing all the blogs right now and had to run across yours'. Geeeee....I'm way jealous of your girls' weekend, maybe someday I can feel secure enough to leave my chickens at home w/ the "boyfriend." hee hee Be soooo grateful for that man girl!!

Anna B said...

I'm jealous! It sounds like you had an awesome weekend and you also have an awesome husband. Someday I would like to see the OK Bombing Mem. Trent's sister Lindy lives in OK.

Eliza said...

Alisha Anderson Moore,

I went to your blog to say hi but it would appear that you don't actually do lots of blogging. You will have to go check my comment. I would love to read more about your life and family. I vote for you adding a picture of the "boyfriend" and kids. :)