Let me share a little something about myself with everyone out there. I HATE HATE HATE driving in any city with more than two highways. Driving is not one of my skills. I get nervous, frustrated and second guess every move I make. Driving in Dallas was no exception. The entire time I was there trying to navigate all of the MILLIONS of highways and freeways I was a mess. My poor kids probably thought I was nuts or something because any time I would start stressing or get shot off onto a wrong freeway I would tell them we were sort of lost again and to pray that mommy could find the right freeway (there were a lot of prayers on Thursday through out the day). I kept wishing I could just borrow a native Dallasonian and make them drive us to all the places we needed to get to. By the time we finished our doctor's appointment and finally found our hotel I was soooo tense that my head, neck, shoulders and arms were all very sore. It really was very pathetic.
I kept thinking about The Amazing Race and wondered how the heck they do it. I made the very easy decision right then and there that when Emily and I go and compete on The Amazing Race she will have to do all of the driving (and eat all the gross stuff too) honestly I don't know what I will be able to contribute to the race (being on The Amazing Race is just an on going personal dream of mine we are not actually scheduled to be on... yet).
Jacob's appointment went really well. I LOVED Jake's doctor. He was so sweet and I totally feel like I got my money's worth with him. Many a times I have left a doctor's office shaking my head as I pay my $30 co-pay thinking... wow that really doesn't seem worth it. This visit was nothing like that. The doctor spent a ton of time with Jake and I discussing the disease and going over treatment options. He was so kind to Jacob and made several comments to me that Jake seems "incredibly bright". I know Jacob is a special little boy but I love when others can see the same thing as I do. In fact when we were talking with Dr. Menter Jacob mentioned that he wants to be a doctor when he grows up. Dr. Menter told Jake that if he works hard and gets through all of the schooling he would hire Jake on with his research team and they would find a cure for psoriasis together. It was really cute.
Basically Dr. Menter confirmed what I was already thinking when he said that Jake is beyond creams, lotions, and even UV therapy. The nature of Jacob's chronic and severe condition puts him in a category of needing systemic medication. Jake needs to treat his condition from the inside out. Unfortunately he is too young to be treated with some of the newer "biological" injections (the FDA has not approved them for the use of children with severe psoriasis yet but it should be approved this summer if all goes as planned). The doctor believes that the best treatment option for Jake is Methotrexate. Methotrexate is a chemotherapy drug that was FDA approved for treating severe psoriasis in the 1970's. Although it does have the potential for some pretty yucky side effects it has been found very successful. The doctor explained to me that Jacob's own immune system is fighting against him which is causing his skin cells to rapidly grow. This medication will greatly weaken his immune system until his skin is able to heal itself. After he is all healed up the doctor will have to find the appropriate amount of the medication to allow him to have a certain amount of a healthy immune system but suppress it enough so that it doesn't try and reject his own skin by growing skin cells too fast. We will all have to take huge precautions to keep Jake healthy. We will be doing everything we can to keep our house as healthy an environment as possible. He will need to use a mask in class once he is on the medication to try and avoid catching all the school cooties. If he does get sick then we need to immediately take him to his primary doctor and inform them that he is on this medication. Then Dr. Menter needs to decide if we take him off the medication until his body heals from whatever sickness he has caught. Jacob will need to have his blood drawn frequently to monitor all of his levels and to ensure he is still healthy enough for this treatment. He had blood work done on Thursday to get his base levels and once the doctor checks out the results he will take one test pill followed by more blood work and then after results are read he will start his full treatment. Jacob's one comment about it all was that he is excited to wear a mask at school. He is pretty sure that all of his friends will want one too. We will keep everyone updated with how it all goes. The doctor feels really confident that within six weeks he should have a huge improvement.
After the day at the clinic we went to the hotel and then went out to see the movie Horton Hears a Who. It was really cute the kids both seemed to enjoy it and I would recommend it to parents with older kids... I'm thinking five or older. Younger ones might get bored, much like the Dr. Seuss books it definitely has some life lessons in it so it's not just a funny cartoon. I think the kids liked the eating out the most. We were able to eat at a couple of places that I miss because we don't have them in Amarillo. Jake and Riley especially liked eating at Jack In The Box. They thought the toy in the kids meal was AWESOME (they each got an issue of Ranger Rick... remember that magazine??)
After a long drive back to Amarillo this is how I found Riley in the back seat. She is such a girly girl she can and will turn anything into Lee Press On Nails (I think she want with the "glamour" length this time).


7 comments:
I'm so glad you guys are back! I must say I am so impressed by Jake. He has such a great attitude and the Lord will bless him for that. It's so nice that you have a good doctor that you like, especially since it sounds like Jake will be with him for awhile.
I laughed at the Lee Press on nails that Riley is sporting. She's so funny. It sounds like you all had a great time together. Glad you had a safe trip!
I hope the treatment works quicky for Jake. I cant imagine having to go through that as the kid or the mother. I was worried when I thought Austin had Excema but we got rid of the cat and surprise it was gone too. I wish it could be as easy as that for you but with all your visits we know its not. As I said before I hope this works realativly fast for him and your family.
LOLOLOL about Riley's nails. LOVE IT P-)
I will for sure drive when we go on the Race. I've always believed I have an internal compass and mad driving skills.
I'm so glad that the visit was a success. We will continue to remember Jake in our prayers and we promise not to cough on him when we see you guys next time.
Liv can demonstrate the proper way to cough. She is VERY big on coughing into your elbow and not your hand. She will call you out if you do it wrong.
Our prayers are with Jake. What a wonderful mother you are and what a great attitude he has about his condition. I admire your efforts at keeping things "normal". Love you.
You are such a good Mom, and Jake is so blessed to have this opportunity to work with Dr. Menter! I know how scary the drive was for you--I freak out just driving to Wasco because of all the big rigs.
When you and Em go on the Amazing Race, your job will be to charm the natives and get free stuff. I believe that's your special Mojo.
Glad you're home safe!
I'm so glad to hear you guys had a positive meeting with the doctor! Sounds like y'all had a great adventure in Dallas as well!
Jake is amazing! I hope the new treatment will work for him. Pat was interested in finding out more too, because one of Terry's children has the same thing.
Post a Comment